Saturday, April 16, 2016

Initial Thoughts on Dark Souls III

            On the whole, the Dark Souls series is one that I have enormous respect for.  I respect its uncompromising difficulty, its minimalistic story, its gameplay that makes you think and plan out ever attack, and I love the overall apocalyptic tone that is infused with every game.  Unfortunately, I really, REALLY suck at them.  How bad am I at these games?  I couldn’t even get past the Taurus Demon in Dark Souls IThat is how bad I am at these games.  But in spite of this, I picked up Bloodborne last year and really enjoyed it.  In fact it might be safe to say that I put more hours into that game then I did any other last year and I eventually conquered it, (though admittedly with A LOT of help), and because of this I was more than willing to give Dark Souls III a shot.  Unfortunately, it’s probably going to take me all year to beat this game so a full review is out of the question.  But I had a Saturday slot to fill and this seemed like the best thing to write about at the moment.
            So the bottom line is this; is the game any good?  Absolutely and from what I’ve played so far there isn’t a “but” in this statement.  The plot, once again, is very vague and difficult to follow unless you’re really paying attention but this time it seems a bit more straight forward then Dark Souls II or Bloodborne and feels easier to follow, (or maybe I’ve just gotten better at following the plots of these games).  Like the previous games, it requires A LOT of exploration and item description reading in order to find out what is going on but whereas many of the secrets in previous games felt needlessly cryptic, most of the hidden, plot important detail stuff that I’ve encountered was found by simply taking an alternative path.  Sometimes it resulted in a horrible death and sometimes it resulted in finding something that gave a bit more context to what I was fighting, (or both), but in either case I’ve yet to feel as if my time was wasted.  Because of this I’ve found myself really wanting to explore the huge environments and discover every little obscure thing the game has to offer because whether or not it results in a horrible, unexpected death or meeting an NPC who give you information on the axe wielding giant you’re about to square off against the result is always fun and rewarding.
            One of the big problems that I had with the previous Dark Souls games was that they always seemed to tanky; as if blocking is your only real option against your enemies and pray that you had enough stamina to attack, (gross oversimplification I know), and Bloodborn kind of had the opposite problem. In that game all you could do was dodge everything and then hit the enemy as much as you could before running away, (again, I know it’s a gross oversimplification).  Dark Souls III, however, seems to have found a good middle ground between the two.  The blocking is there and necessary at times to be sure, but this time around it feels more like an option as opposed to a requirement, with character customization allowing you to make a character who can be agile enough to dodge attacks but tough enough to block them as well.  Enemies, likewise, have attacks and move sets that reflect this.  They’re tough to be sure but never unfairly so and generally follow some kind of pattern that is exploitable regardless of how difficult it might be to exploit said pattern.  All of these things make for a game that is still very challenging and unforgiving but, at the same time, feels far more accessible than previous installments.

            Unfortunately, this is all I really have to say on the game at the moment.  It’s ultimately far more accessible than previous installments with gameplay that feels balanced for the first time.  It both punishes and rewards the player for exploration but always ends up feeling fun regardless of what path you take and that’s what I’ve taken away from it so far.  It’s a challenging game but also a very fun one and I cannot wait to play more of it and highly recommend that you take a look for yourself. 
             So until next time, please follow the site, Like the Facebook page and follow me on twitter.  Until then, Farewell Ashen Ones.  May the Flames Guide Thee.

No comments:

Post a Comment